American Heart Association ACLS Online Course
Convenient new alternative for completion of the American Heart Association® ACLS Provider Course. The American Heart Association ACLS Online Course meets the criteria for any healthcare provider who is required to obtain or maintain certification in American Heart Association® ACLS.
The American Heart Association Online ACLS Course is a Web-based, self-paced instructional program that uses eSimulation technology to allow students to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students apply their knowledge to real time decision making and skills development. Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning about basic and advanced life support.
What is HeartCode™ ACLS?
- HeartCode™ ACLS is an official American Heart Association® self-directed e-learning program.
- An alternative to traditional, classroom-based ACLS training, the self-directed HeartCode™ ACLS eLearning program uses eSimulation technology to let students participate in realistic patient scenarios, assess patients based on the most recent American Heart Association guidelines, and formulate treatment — online and at their own pace.
The HeartCode™ ACLS program consists of two parts
- Part 1 is the Web-Based cognitive component that allows users to work through the ACLS training curriculum at their own pace, on the computer of their choice. No classroom training or attendance is required.
- Part 2 is the very important skills verification process, which can only be performed by an AHA ACLS instructor. You will need to secure the services of an AHA ACLS Instructor to complete the online program.
Who is the target audience for HeartCode™ ACLS?
- Available to individual healthcare providers, HeartCode™ ACLS allows you to complete the ACLS courseware and exam, anytime, anywhere.
- Can be used for initial or renewal certification.
- Please be aware that this is a self-directed program. If you are not sure if you have the knowledge base or experience to use this online option, then you may want to consider attending a traditional classroom based course. The online course option is not a faster or “easier” option to the traditional classroom based course.
- Using the online course option requires a moderate level of computer skills to navigate the program.
What is included in HeartCode™ ACLS?Presents 10 interactive, hospital-based patient scenarios, using eSimulation technology:
- One BLS case
- Seven cases representing cardiovascular, respiratory and stroke emergencies
- Two Megacode cases
- Pre-course self-assessment gauges students’ knowledge and application of ECG recognition and pharmacology
- Videos summarize critical concepts for each patient scenario
- Team dynamics lesson reinforces critical concepts for communication and effectiveness
- Emphasis on effective code team leader skills
- Students assess and virtually treat patients following the ACLS algorithms
- Debriefings and coaching provided immediately after each simulation, with hyperlinks to the referenced section of the ACLS Provider Manual
- Multiple choice, 50-question exam to test cognitive knowledge; program immediately identifies incorrect answers and provides a hyperlink to the appropriate section of the ACLS Provider Manual for instant remediation
- Certificate of completion available to print when Part 1 has been completed successfully
- Includes course evaluation that must be completed before certificate of completion can be printed
- Includes online access to the ACLS Provider Manual, the 2010 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC and the 2010 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers
- Provides access to all information in course for 24 months (two years) following activation of course key
- Students have up to 32 hours of active time in the program to complete the course
Continuing Education Credits
- Physicians — American Heart Association® designates this enduring material for a maximum of 9.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits(TM)
- Physician Assistants — AAPA accepts Category I credit from AOACCME, Prescribed credit from AAFP, and AMA PRA Category 1 Credit from organizations accredited by ACCME
- Nurses — American Heart Association® is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 9.75 contact hours.
- Pharmacists — American Heart Association® is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. ACPE Credit: 10.00 Contact Hours or 1.000 CEUs. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-11-647-H01-P
- Emergency Medical Services — This continuing education activity is approved by American Heart Association®, an organization accredited by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS), for 10.25 Advanced CEHs, activity number 11-AMHA-F3-01
Does HeartCode™ ACLS require special software?
- Windows XP or Windows 7 or Mac OSX
- CPU: 2 Ghz Pentium 4 or equivalent (2.4 Ghz or higher recommended)
- RAM: 768 MB (1GB or higher recommended)
- 512 Kbit/s bandwidth (1 Mbit/s or higher recommended)
- Adobe Flash player 10.1
- Monitor: 1024×768 resolution (1280×1024 or higher recommended)
- Mouse or compatible pointing device
- Speakers or headphones
- Internet Explorer 7.0+ or FireFox 2+
- Printer for completion & CE certificate
What happens when the computer work is completed?
- When all parts of the computer-based work are successfully completed, the student will then request the course completion certificate and continuing education certificate.
- Print Certificate that confirms course/exam completion.
- Print Certificate that provides appropriate CME/CE verification (keep for your records)
- Skills testing and card issuance will need to be done by an AHA Instructor of your choice.
How do I get my ACLS card?
- You will need to have an American Heart Association™ ACLS instructor complete the skills check off and issue your AHA course card.
More InformationWe appreciate your interest in this product and will make every effort to answer your questions promptly.