BLS HeartSaver Online Course
HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s blended learning delivery method for the BLS Course. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning (online portion), in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on session.
HeartCode BLS is the online portion of BLS blended learning. It uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills. After completing the online portion, students will attend a structured Instructor-led course that focuses on meaningful skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, discussions of local protocols and skills testing. Where available, students may also complete the hands-on portion with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM).
This course replaces the BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1 (#90-1403), HeartCode BLS Part 1 (#90-1404), and BLS for Prehospital Providers Online (#90-1433) 2010 Guidelines courses.
Following are the specifications for HeartCode BLS:
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; student chooses his/her track before starting HeartCode BLS modules
- Includes 10 modules, 5 eSimulations and two video tutorials
- eSimulation cases include
o Two adult two-rescuer BLS cases
o One child one-rescuer BLS case
o One infant two-rescuer BLS case
o One infant one-rescuer BLS case
- Summary of critical concepts provided for each eSimulation case
- Virtual debriefings provided immediately after each eSimulation, with hyperlinks to the referenced section of the BLS Provider Manual
- Includes downloadable resources:
o BLS Reference Card
o Team Diagram
o Summary of High-Quality CPR Components
o Skills Testing Checklists
o AHA Chains of Survival
- Provides online access to the BLS Provider Manual
- Multiple choice, 25-question exam to test cognitive knowledge
- Certificate of completion available to print after HeartCode BLS modules and simulations, exam, and course evaluation have been completed successfully
- Students may access all information included in HeartCode BLS for 24 months (two years) following activation of course
How long will it take to complete?
- Participants usually require 1 hour or less, to complete the online portion.
- You must also complete the skills testing with an AHA BLS Instructor. This will require more time and is dependent on the individual instructors.
What are the advantages of BLS Online?
- Establishes a standardized training program.
- Provides training when it is convenient for you (24 hours a day).
- Allows instructors to train more people with increased efficiency.
What are the components of BLS Online?
- Complete the online portion (Part 1).
- Print Completion Certificate
- Have an authorized AHA instructor complete the skills testing (Part 2).
- The AHA instructor will issue the American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR certification card.
How do I get my BLS card?
- You will need to have an American Heart Association™ BLS instructor complete the skills check off and issue your AHA course card.
Dimensions and Specifications:
PC and Mac® compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation:
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
RAM: 1+ GB RAM
Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
Macromedia Flash (latest version)
QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)